25th November 2017 - Published Date
Bath Welcomes Refugees (BWR) is a registered charity whose aim is to bring to safety and security in the UK those people persecuted and in danger in their own countries and homelands, and to help them settle in Bath or the surrounding area. More information on the organisation can be found at https://www.bathwelcomesrefugees.org.uk.
We have created an exciting new role for a part-time, self-employed, Chief Operating Officer (COO) to oversee our organisation’s on-going operations and to ensure the efficiency and sustainability of BWR’s activities.The COO will work closely with the Management Committee (MC) and report directly to the Board of Trustees, taking over the administrative and management responsibilities of our Chairman, streamlining the organisation, managing our diverse operations, motivating our committed volunteer base and ensuring the implementation of our standard operating procedures.
We are looking for an experienced and efficient leader with excellent people skills, business acumen and an exemplary work ethic - an adaptable and flexible self-starter who is equally comfortable presenting to a board, chairing meetings and working closely with a highly motivated management team.
Responsibilities of the COO will include:
- Co-ordinating, supervising and supporting the work of the MC comprised of experienced team leaders responsible for membership, fundraising, donations, housing, language support, befriending and safeguarding. (The candidate is not expected to be an expert in these areas but should be comfortable managing teams who specialise in them.)
- Translating strategic plans into action and implementing appropriate operating procedures.
- Managing BWR’s routine operations including setting up and chairing meetings, following up action points and discharging company secretarial responsibilities.
- Writing and submitting reports to the Trustees of all matters of importance.
- Assisting the Treasurer with developing budgets for the MC and monitoring those budgets.
- Developing relationships with BWR’s client base (refugees), volunteers, supporters and partners (including Julian House, Bath and North-East Somerset Council).
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proven experience in a Chief Operating Officer or Senior Operations Manager role.
- Understanding of the administrative needs of a small organisation and knowledge of business functions including operations, HR, finance, PR and marketing.
- Motivation to deliver the charity’s aim to bring refugees to safety and security in the UK.
- Outstanding organisational and leadership abilities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving.
- Demonstrable competency in strategic implementation.
- Experience of writing bids and securing grants.
- Experience in fundraising will be a plus.
- Comfortable working with computers.
- Company Secretarial experience, preferably charity-related.
- Experience of the voluntary sector.
The ability to be available in and around Bath is necessary but the position will be home based.
The ideal candidate will be self-employed, hired on a flexible part-time arrangement averaging 2 days a week, or as mutually agreed.
Between £10,000 – 15,000 per annum subject to experience.
Email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st December 2017. Interviews will take place in January 2018 on a rolling basis.